From Sonja's Recipe Folder
Summer Picnic Waffles
1 1/2 Cups Milk
1 1/2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
3 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
5 Tablespoons Melted Butter
1 1/2 Cups Flour
1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
1 Tablespoons Real Maple Syrup
A Silver Dollar Sized Waffle Iron or Griddle
- Preheat your waffle iron or Griddle.
- Whisk the milk, egg, salt, and brown sugar together in a bowl. Whisk in the baking powder until the mixture has a light frothy texture.
- Melt the butter in a small pan on the stove top until it just barley begins to bubble. Slowly mix the butter into the bowl with the other ingredients. Don't pour it in too fast or the butter will re-solidify in clumps.
- Mix in the flour until the dough has a nice smooth texture.
- Finally, add in the real maple syrup and stir until it is evenly combined. You may add more maple syrup as you see fit for taste. NOTE: Sonja froze her maple syrup in little round balls and added them in. If you wish to do this you will need a set of mini-ball ice trays. Make sure to fill the ice tray and place it in the freezer the night before for the best results.
- Coat the iron or griddle in a little bit of oil.
- Pour the batter into each slot of the hot waffle iron or griddle and let cook. Every waffle iron is different so stay close by to watch the waffle as it cooks. If using a griddle, stay nearby and flip the waffles over when they are ready.
- While the waffle cooks, heat up a skillet with the cooking oil in it.
- Once the waffle smells and looks done go ahead and take it out and place it on a plate to cool. Butter the waffle if you so wish.
Available through Kindle and in print.
Buy your copy now by clicking the image on the left!
"Carolyn Hunter may be a new writer but her books make you think she's been doing this forever."
-Lesley Spicer (Amazon reviewer)